Saturday, June 20, 2009

Max's Wine Dive

Max's Wine Dive is one of the newest additions to the Austin restaurant scene. They've already got a location in Houston, and have just expanded with this downtown Austin location. The quote you'll see on waiter's shirts is "Fried Chicken & Champagne? Why the hell not?" And that basically sums this place up. Lots of nice wines paired with basic American food classics dressed up. We went for brunch, and to start off, I was a little disappointed that the cheapest wine on the menu was $7 for a glass. Most places around town will have at least a wine or two for $4-$5 for us cheapskates. Anyway, I ordered a glass of sangria ($7) and Ryan stuck with coffee. For our brunch entrees, I sampled the nutella & banana stuffed Texas toast ($10). It was good- but I should disclose that I personally feel you can never go wrong if you smother something with some nutella. It bugged me a little that I asked for it without the bacon that comes with it since I don't eat bacon and didn't want it to go to waste, but our waitress brought it with the bacon anyway. In the future I'm better off sticking with a $5 nutella crepe at the new crepe places around town. Ryan had the Eggs MAX: eggs, prosciutto and greens over Texas toast ($9). He enjoyed his as well, and the presentation was nice, but I think we're both a little *meh* about Texas toast in general. I mean.. is it just a thick piece of white bread? Oh no... Do we sound snobby in this post??


No comments: