Thursday, August 20, 2009

Zoot

Zoot is easily one of the best restaurants in Austin. It's a bit of a drive from central Austin, but since it's the kind of place you go only for a special treat, this isn't really an issue. And the drive is nice.

The inside of the restaurant manages to be both elegant and relaxed at the same time. A great place for a nice date. Their menu is constantly changing, so the food in this blog post may be gone by the time you visit.

For appetizer, we tried the heirloom tomato salad- how different these tomatoes taste from normal ones. The price for this salad was $6 which is not bad when you consider the fact that that's pretty much what you'll pay to buy a large heirloom tomato at the grocery store.

We also tried the chilled potato soup ($6). Very interesting. The flavor was really great, but honestly, I couldn't get over the fact that it was cold. I kept fighting the message from my brain telling me to pop it in the microwave. I'm one of those people who doesn't understand why in the world some people like to eat pizza cold.
For entree, Ryan had the quail- this is technically a starter so it was only $14. He liked the looks of it more than anything else on the menu though, and it turned out to be a pretty substantial dish so it was a win all around.
I had the eight ball squash stuffed with couscous ($18). It had a little cheese and veggies mixed in there. Sorry these descriptions are so bad- but I can't remember details about the ingredients and the menu on Zoot's website doesn't list the things we ordered. This was definitely the best couscous I've ever had. The texture was amazing, and the flavors worked together so well.
Obviously we could not miss dessert at a place like Zoot. The lemon tart with raspberry coulis ($8) called our name and it turned out to be just perfect for splitting. Creamy, tangy lemon in a perfect homemade crust. I went through a long phase of sticking to the chocolate dessert option when eating out, and I think I was really missing out on lemon. Hopefully I can make up for lost time.

No comments: